RALEIGH – The holiday season offers great opportunities to explore agritourism activities on farms and across North Carolina. Visitors will find plenty of outdoor experiences from tours, trails, farmers markets, farm stands, holiday festivals and special events. The following is a sample of agritourism opportunities offered at North Carolina farms this season.
Visitors can find farm experiences across the state by downloading the Visit NC Farms app with more than 1,500 farms, fisheries and agriculture destinations nearby and across the state. The free app is available at www.visitncfarmstoday.com and by downloading from the app store on mobile devices. Local agritourism farms can also be found, online at www.gottobenc.com, by clicking on the agritourism listing under the Find Local link. Visitors should verify event dates, ticket requirements and operational hours before going.
Some of those in Western North Carolina include:
– Hope Creek Farm of Creston is a modern homestead that offers the opportunity to bond with barnyard animals and enjoy warm beverages and a fire. Come visit all the sweet animals from goats to sheep and cows and horses and more. The farm is open weekends and some weekday afternoons. Contact Melissa Hager at Hopecreekfarmnc@gmail.com for more information.
– Grietje’s Garden Vineyard of Rocky Ridge Farm in Olin offers a Holiday Craft event with local vendors Dec. 4 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Contact Penny Ledbetter at email@example.com for more information.
– Book a tour at Two Crows Farm Alpacas in Murphy. The farm has charming animals, handmade goods for sale, and great photo opportunities. Tours and visits are by appointment.
– On Dec. 6 from 5 – 8 p.m., downtown West Jefferson will be decked out in its Christmas finery for the evening Holiday Gallery Crawl. Shops and more will be open with holiday artwork, refreshments and music.
– Lil’ Grandfather Christmas Tree Farm of Laurel Springs offers choose-and-cut service with thousands of Fraser firs 2-12 feet tall, hayrides, horse rides and a hay bale theater. Opening for the season Nov. 25 at 9 a. m.
– Choose and cut your Christmas tree now at Mistletoe Meadow in Laurel Springs. Visit https://mistletoemeadows.com/ choose and cut page for details.
– Sandy Hollar Farm of Leicester will host choose-and-cut Christmas trees, wagon rides, barnyard animals and a Christmas Shop through Dec. 18.
– The North Asheville Tailgate Market will host a Holiday Bazaar every Saturday Nov. 27 through Dec. 18. In addition to seasonal produce, meats, cheeses and bread, find local artists’ work and handmade goods including wreaths and crafts.
– The West Asheville Tailgate Market will host Holiday Markets from Nov. 30 through Dec. 21. Visit for seasonal produce and unique, hand-made items.
The tasting room at FernCrest Winery, a small boutique winery in Andrews, will be open until mid-December.
– The Murphy Farmers Market is hosting a Christmas Shopping Day Dec. 4 at the L&N Depot in Murphy from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Support local vendors with unique handmade gifts and Christmas décor.
– Choose and cut your perfect Christmas tree in a beautiful mountain setting at C and J Christmas Trees in Boone. Open Nov. 25-26, and Dec. 4, 11 and 18.
– The Barn at Dixon Tree Farm of Jefferson is open this year for choose-and-cut Christmas trees, greenery and decorated wreaths, Christmas Balls, gifts and more.
– Elk River Evergreens of Elk Park operates two choose-and-cut locations at Ellis Family Farm (121 Brooks Shell Road) and Orchard Farm (60 Buck Mountain Road). Find a selection of trees, wreaths, garland and gifts from the gift shop. The farm offers complimentary hot chocolate, apple cider and popcorn for all customers in the gift shop.
– Poplar Grove Choose and Cut of Boone is open through Dec. 5 from 9 – 5 p.m. This family farm offers no wait, hot apple cider and a Christmas shop stocked with homemade candles and goods.
– Shady Rest Tree Farm of Jefferson, one of Ashe County’s largest choose-and-cut Christmas tree farms in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, is now open.
Central North Carolina
– Kordick Family Farm of Stokes grows 175 varieties of heirloom apples in a holistic management system that minimizes conventional chemical inputs. The farm is hosting Orchard by Candlelight Dec. 10 and 11 from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. featuring over 600 luminarias lighting the way for a winter walk through the orchard. The packhouse will be open for holiday shopping. Music and refreshments included. Admission is charged and children 6 and under are free. Go to https://www.kordickfamilyfarm.com/ for more information.
– Kersey Valley Christmas of Greensboro offers lights, Santa, and fun this holiday season. Ride the rails with the Kersey Valley Express and a Christmas Wagon ride around the farm plus so much more. Visit Santa’s Workshop gift store. Come meet Santa, Grinch and a dozen more characters for professional photo ops. Events are held Dec. 3-5, 10-12, 17-23 from 5:30 – 9:30 p.m. Tickets are limited with a virtual queue system to get into the fun instead of a line. Learn more at https://www.kerseyvalleychristmas.com/
– Hickory Creek Farm of Greensboro is open for choose and Christmas trees, precut Fraser Fir trees, wreaths made on site, Poinsettia greenhouse, hayrides, bonfire and play areas. Enjoy food trucks every Saturday along with delicious treats and hot cider. Santa and Mrs. Claus will visit the farm Dec. 4 from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. The Christmas tree farm is open daily Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Sundays 1 – 8 p.m. until sold out of trees. Closed Thanksgiving Day only. See https://www.hickorycreekfarmnc.com/ for more information.
– Brookhaven Mill Farm of Greensboro offers Santa photos, weekend farm tours by appointment and a petting zoo with over 80 animals to pet and feed. The farm offers private tours in the barnyard, park-like setting, farm store, snack bar, picnic area, birthday parties for kids, a wedding venue, B&B, farm dinners, via a historic 1880’s farm with original outbuildings, farmhouse and workshops. Open every weekend. The farm bed and breakfast is available from Friday – Sunday in a historic farmhouse. Other events are: Dec 4 – Kids Visit with Santa, 11 a.m. -1 p.m.; Dec 11 – Pet Photos with Santa, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.; Feb 12 – Making Chocolate with Dawn, 11 a.m.- 1 p.m. For more details go to https://brookhavenmillfarm.com/
– Mitchell’s Nursery & Greenhouse of King has more than 12,000 poinsettias with 92 different varieties to choose from. Poinsettia display and voting is Nov. 27 – Dec. 10 Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sat. 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., and Sun. 1 – 3 p.m. Mitchell’s Nursery & Greenhouse offers plants for your home, garden and business. Learn more on the website – https://mitchellsnursery.com/
– Sunshine Lavender Farm in Hurdle Mills hosts a Holiday Open House with Glassblowing Workshops. Tickets are required for VIP Dec. 10 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Dec. 11 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Enjoy the fresh country air. Stroll the farm and an easy walking trail. For ages 10+, be a glassblower for the day. Enjoy lavender treats during the local shopping event. Discover unique goods and one-of-a-kind gifts made from the crop grown on the farm and walking trails. Visit the website for more information – https://www.sunshinelavenderfarm.co/
Tobacco Farm Life Museum of Kenley brings back its drive-through Christmas Village this holiday season with more lights and decorations. Opens Dec. 3 for a free walk-throughs. The remaining dates will be for vehicles only and admission will be charged. Dec. 3 – 4, 10 – 11 and 17 – 18 from 6 -8 p.m. Go to https://www.tobaccofarmlifemuseum.org/ for more information.
– J. Razz & Tazz Farm LLC of Gibsonville hosts a Christmas Light Show Hayride, mini train ride, play area, bonfires, and more this holiday season. This full-time working farm houses a large tractor display and old wagons decorated for great photos. Cash only, no pets allowed. Free parking. Farm is open Nov. 26 – Dec. 18 on Fridays and Saturdays from 4 – 9 p.m. For details, https://www.jrazz.com/
– Fairytale Farm of Winston-Salem is hosting a Merry Mishmash. Join the farm animals for fun, games, and holiday treats. Shop the holiday market, meet the Grinch, Santa and the furry friends at the Animal Sanctuary. Purchase tickets in advance on their website.
Read More: Local farms host holiday and winter events